A for Australia: Run, Forrest Run!

Every year, in April, the Blogging A-Z Challenge kicks off with a bang and now in its seventh year running, it continues to garner even more participation than ever! Click here to read more on the challenge! And if you're participating too, do leave your blog site in the comments! I'd love to visit!

Presenting my first post of the 2016 challenge, themed on 'Quirky and Unique Facts from countries round the world'!


“Where’s Bittu?” I asked Mom. It had been three hours since I had last seen him around. Uninterrupted silence of this sort from an eight-year-old usually meant that he was up to no good.

“He’s training for some race, he says. Intends to go to Australia for it!” Chuckled Dad.

As I opened the door to his room, I could hear him yell “Forrest, what did I tell you? No flying!! ”.

Barely had I glanced up to see who Forrest was, when the ugly creature descended on my shoulder. Flapping my hands, I screamed at the top of my voice and tried to shoo it away. Antennae fluttering, the disgusting cockroach fell to a corner. I tasted bile at the back of my throat and shuddered involuntarily but the repulsive feeling refused to go away.

As my brother broke into a crazy laugh and yelled “Run Forrest run!!”, both cockroach and I ran for our lives, hopefully in opposite directions.

Click here to access the complete works of the 2016 A-Z Blogging Challenge!
Cockroach racing is a club gambling activity which originated in Australia and is held on the 26th of January, every year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach_racing
I would love to hear your views!

Comments

  1. Awesome. Love the idea and superb topic giving the write up a surprise element. The build up is very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Would have loved to know who this is! :)

      Delete
    2. Shreya :)
      It uses unknown by default :-/
      I feel so Untech-savvy

      Delete
    3. Yay! :) Now it says Shreya! :) BTW, if you find Facebook commenting easier, even that's enabled on the blog! :) Whatever works for you!

      Delete
  2. That's super interesting theme and you started with a bang. Cockroach racing.... incredible... was not aware of such an activity! Cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa! Weirdness galore! Ewww factor at its peak!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You have a brilliant story telling ability. It's interesting to know about cockroach race. Waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cockroach racing. I'd never heard of it until now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the quirkiness that exists all around us! Thank you for the comment, Alex!

      Delete
  5. Hahaha, that was a surprise! That is one creature other than lizards that I am absolutely terrified of...the eww factor besides!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious write up...got to know of such a race now. Weird and wild šŸ¤£

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy... what all people do for entertainment.... yuck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha..had a good laugh DeepašŸ¤£

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazingly written by emerging writer in modern world. We enjoyed the story! Thank you for sharing us, Deepa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazingly written by emerging writer in modern world. We enjoyed the story! Thank you for sharing us, Deepa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahahah.... good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good writer startles,provokes or makes the reader curious..you did that again dear..of course with Ewww factor::-((

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahha.. that was funny :) --AA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha ha... can't help laughing...nice one Deepa...great going..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah! This is interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! If you'd rather not sign in, please do leave your initials in the comment! I might enjoy a guessing game! :)