P: A Raging Fire Within!


2002
I watch him focus on the tiny blip, concentrating hard on getting it right. He adjusts the magnifying glass carefully. Ten seconds later, I see the first wisps of smoke rise up from the paper.

2010
The helpless cat lets out a whimper but it is bound tightly. He sprinkles a generous dose of lighter fluid and strikes the match. Breathing in the smell of burning flesh, he lets out a satiated sigh.

2018
I watch him on TV, being handcuffed for arson. I see the look of pleasure on his face and I feel sick to my stomach.

Pyrophilia is a relatively uncommon paraphilia in which a subject derives gratification from fire and fire-starting activity. Pyrophilia has been diagnosed in very few instances, and is not fully accepted by the general psychological community.

Pic Credit: UnDepress
This post is written as part of a 100 word microfiction series for the A2Z Blogging Challenge.
Read other posts in the A2Z 2018 Blogging Challenge here.
For the complete works of A2Z 2016 Blogging Challenge, click here

Comments