10 Reasons Why I Didn't Post

Copyright: www.simplifiedblogging.com
The latest post on my blog is dated May 2. It’s been three weeks since I posted anything. Two weeks back, I thought of writing on a particular topic. Then I put it off. And then I put it off some more. And then some more. Until it became three weeks and here I am. So finally, here’s a post on why I did not post! 
  1. Block – Writer’s, thinker’s, dreamer’s, contemplator’s, observer’s. Every possible kind. I would think of something – a particular topic and yet nothing-worth-putting-into-words would come to mind! I know it is so easy to simply use the block as an excuse but scripting a word and then following it up with another and yet another seemed like a Herculean task! Of course, the block could have been a by-product of any of the following combinations. 
  2. Chaos Theory. The past month felt like I was caught in a twister of sorts. So many options to pick from. So many pros and cons to pick through. Our professional lives were throwing us googlies and it was affecting everything ahead. Where to work, where to move? Stay here? Go back? Shifting. Buying. Returning. It was as if I was playing ‘Deal or No Deal!’ all the time! 
  3. News equals Depression. I hate to be insensitive and I know that shutting my eyes doesn’t mean that evil isn't out there anymore. But anything I read – from print media articles to blog posts to articles shared on Facebook had depression written all over it. Crimes against women, children, and government let downs so much so I had to stop reading the news for a while to hold on to sanity. 
  4. In pursuit of perfection. Yes, I did it! I waited for that perfect topic to write about. For the perfect moment when lightning would strike. That perfect sunrise. The perfect day of the week, for the perfect hour of the day. The perfect minute to start. And guess what, it never came! 
  5. Fiction Rules. What can I say? I love fiction! Now, that, I did doodle a lot of! All in my notepad and on my computer. Just not on the blog. Yet. 
  6. Facebook. That’s right I blame Facebook. And Google Talk. And the internet. And while I am at it – I blame work too. I spend too much time at all these places – time which could have been better spent writing. But boy, is it addictive! I will myself to stick to 10 minutes and before I know it, two hours are up! 
  7. Master Planner. I am not always meticulous, but just sometimes I am this master-scheduler person – who loves to use Google Calendar, sync her phone with the one online, schedule all sorts of things – specifically time for writing, blogs, reading etc. If only I spend some time on execution too! 
  8. Pick a niche. Now this was one reason I dilly-dallied a lot with posting. Speaking to a couple of close friends, a recent bout of ‘what does my blog even stand for’ took over. It’s not a review blog, nor a travelogue. Not a tech blog, not a foodie one. It’s a jack of all, master of none. Spent a lot of crazed moments going back and forth. Final decision? It is a personal blog and it will continue to be. I might as well shut it down if I have to force myself to write to one particular category. 
  9. I blame the weather. What?! If the Khaps can blame chowmein, mobile phones, skirts and education for the rise in crimes against women, I can’t blame the weather for my drop in writing? I hate winter. After spending eight years in MN, you’d think I’d be used to it. But no! And now, as Oz land welcomes the chill (ahem, well in the double digits and never any snow) – even the subtle drop in temperature makes me want to cozy up with a bowl of steaming hot Maggi Noodles! 
  10. I really couldn't think of #10. But, if you've been here before, maybe you got something that applies to me and I haven’t thought of yet? What’s that? I should have been creative and thought of #10? Hey, don’t blame me! Blame the block! 
PS: I haven’t been to any of my favourite blogs either this past month. Now you know why! BTW, this post took only 10 minutes. I don’t know what to make of that!
I would love to hear your views!

Comments

  1. I am taking a break too. Will write when lightening strikes. You have echoed my thoughts above and I have every right to blame it on weather. It is 45 deg today, here in Gurgaon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gosh, stay cool Alka! The weather does seem to be driving everyone crazy! :) And come back soon!

      Delete
  2. Yep the weather is hitting all of us. The heat, kids' vacations, for me work and other priorities cannot take a hit, my blog can lie low for some time :). But is the weather that bad in Oz? And pick a niche, why oh why? You are doing fine this way, lady! Yaar, blogging seems to have gone from a pastime to an art and science :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, looks like I am not alone! :) Yeah, I haven't been to your blog and others in so long! :( So much reading to catch up on :) Naa, the weather here is lovely actually. Very pleasant. Mostly between 12-18 Celsius this past week. But the drop from higher 20s and 30s does seem significant :) And I am a warmer weather person :) I think that niche thing must also have been a weather side effect :D Because now, I am back to keeping it at what it was! :) It does seem to have become a serious business, no?

      Delete
  3. It means great posts do not need hell-loads of time !! :) I loved every bit of all your reasoning and
    specially the 10th one !! :)And yes , Mark eats up people's productive time and thats how he has become rich . I wish you could avoid his creation or restrict it for an hour or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks MySay! :) Yeah I really need to step back from Facebook. Of an hour spent on it, 10 minutes would be useful and the rest a complete waste of time!

      Delete
  4. How about not reading other blogs for the 10th? Reading other blogs does add grist to the mill and sparks off that 'perfect idea' sometimes does it not? :) So THAT could have been the 10th instead of tha PS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sigh, Suresh. I don't think I have been able to draw inspiration from reading other posts. Turns out to bias or influence me more :(

      Delete
  5. Thankfully the writer's block has not hit me yet. That does not mean that I don't fear it everyday.
    It is alright to take breaks to cleanse yourself mind. It really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amit :) You probably already know this, but yours is one of the blogs on my reading list, which got hit by this :(

      Delete
  6. Same here with me, Deepa. I haven't written for over a couple of months and while reading your post, I thought which one applied to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, which ones did? Can't force yourself, at least that's me. If the writing bug bites me, well and fine. Else I do something else! Take a break, do something entirely different :)

      Delete
  7. Don't fret a lot about it. It happens to me too, sometimes a month goes by and I don't have anything new to post and some days I come up with multiple posts, it's crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy! You said it! :) Yep, back to doodling now :)

      Delete
  8. Yeah yeah we have all been there Deepa . I can relate 100% to all the points ESP the 10th one ;) no seriously I can . While u are at getting back in full form enjoy that Maggie noodles cup ( Boy that makes me drool ) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slurp! :) Thanks Jaish :) Hopefully should be back soon!

      Delete
  9. One, three and four... those had me nodding away. They grip me by the throat too. These are my remedies:

    One: Any topic that comes to mind, I start writing. I don't write to post. I just write. Whatever comes to mind... often I veer away completely from the topic. But I write. My hard disk is full of such rotting corpses. But I get out of the block.

    Three: I get mad. Then I write an absolutely Pollyannaish piece as a revolt against all the negativity. And strangely enough it makes me feel better.

    Four: I just go and post one my least offensive doodles. It gets the ball rolling. Its like hitting rock bottom- the only place you can go after that is UP.

    So there..! :D

    Dagny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dagny, Now that's why I say 'You da best!' :) I need to create more rotting corpses too - you know I had actually started doing this as a resolution in 2012. Ran three months and then I stopped doing it, I need to start up again - writing a page everyday - about whatever comes to mind! :) Three - really? I end up depressed :( Maybe as you say, venting it all out would be better! Four - Sounds promising! :)

      Delete
  10. I have been on similar lines too, Deepa. I have been randomly posting here and there once in a while,but not been able to catch up other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, it should get better. If not, we'd be block buddies :)

      Delete
  11. The weather, kid's vacation in my case, the general chaos... you are speaking my mind Deepa. Looks like it is a season of writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, I know! Seems like more and more people are getting bitten by the bug!

      Delete
  12. Liked your blogger version of modern day 'The Ten Commandments', Deepa:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been writing this month too..and as u know by now..it the tummy bug that kept me down and out!! but i have been in a lot of those places too....1,2,4,8,9 yes, yes, yes and 10 of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Sigh, going by the tummy bug - I wonder who decided to coin the term 'writer bug'. Because in essence, it feels like the exact opposite! A bug's something that messes it up! Take care!

      Delete
  14. sigh.. i know exactly how u feel.. am barely posting anything these days.. doing a lot of doodling in the computer but all half baked stories that i myself give up on halfway. So neither here nor there in the end :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half-baked! That's the perfect term to describe my attempts too :(

      Delete
  15. Here's a possible #10 - had nothing I passionately wanted to write about and writing a post a week might be a mantra but it isn't mine! Fiction rules for me too, both the reading and writing kind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #10 sounds good, KayEm! :) True, that! Applies to me too!

      Delete
  16. Can I post this in my blog?? I promise to give you the credit of authoring the original article and also put a backlink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Please do, I would love to see it being passed around. And thank you for the crediting and linkback! Sorry about the late response. Moved halfway across the world and been very busy with the move, plus had no internet!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! If you'd rather not sign in, please do leave your initials in the comment! I might enjoy a guessing game! :)