B: For the Love of Books


“No. 16 rejected. Next?” I ask as Mom scrolls through profiles on the matrimonial site.
“I love the books so I take bookie job,” Mom reads out loud.
“What!!!! Reject!!!” Dad and I both yell out from opposite ends of the room.
Nia rolls her eyes. Minutes pass by. Mom passes the laptop to me. I start scrolling.

“Him. Him, you’ll definitely be OK to meet.” I say with a confident swagger.
Mom and Dad exchange glances. Nia takes one look at the profile and smiles at me.
The cover photo is a huge bookshelf. “Bibliophile”, it reads under Hobbies.

Dictionary.com defines a Bibliophile as ‘a person who loves or collects books, especially as examples of fine or unusual printing, binding, or the like.’. The above tale is only a light-hearted rendition of one’s love for books.




This post is written as part of a 100 word microfiction series for the A2Z Blogging Challenge.
Read other posts in the A2Z 2018 Blogging Challenge here.
For the complete works of A2Z 2016 Blogging Challenge, click here

Comments

  1. Funny take...reminds me of those frustrating days searching for a bride for my bro on matrimonial sites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I was hoping folks could relate to it :) Thanks Bharati! C is scheduled for 4 PM tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  2. I love and collect books...but I don't read them... Am I a bibliophile?
    Yours truly,
    Raddiwala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you, my dear, Oxford should just coin a new Raddiophilia! :P

      Delete
  3. I hope so. :-P So far, no luck. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if all else fails, there's always bookies :P ... soon soon! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. Haha! Bookie! That was gold. Nice one, Deepa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah :) Yeah, it's funny, sometimes the way usages make me crack up! :P

      Delete
  5. And I can say that they will connect immediately. :D
    You know that it has been scientifically proven that book lovers are the best people to fall in love with, for they won't talk to you… they'll speak to you :D
    Loved this story, Deepa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheheh, yeah can imagine the mutual love for books building mutual respect and instant kinship :D
      Thanks Shilpa! :)

      Delete
  6. Glancing through these matrimonial sites is a fun thing in itself....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for a post series, Deepa. And with the added challenge of just 100 words - very clever.
    Oh, and I'm not married. I doubt that I ever will be, but if I were, a bibliophile would definitely be a big contender :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the glowing note, Karen! :) We do appreciate bibliophiles more, don't we!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! If you'd rather not sign in, please do leave your initials in the comment! I might enjoy a guessing game! :)